Connect with us

CELEBRITY

A federal judge in Illinois quickly issued a restraining order after the Trump administration slashed more than $600 million in CDC grants

Published

on

It was deja vu from 2025: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention this week announced more than $600 million in cuts to public health grants in California, Illinois, Colorado and Minnesota — four Democratic-led states.

 

 

Right away, attorneys general in the affected states filed their lawsuit late Wednesday in a federal district court in Illinois asking for the temporary restraining order.

And the next day, a federal judge blocked the Trump administration’s action with a temporary restraining order released late Thursday.

In an opinion accompanying the order, U.S. District Judge Manish S. Shah wrote that even though the stated reason for the cancellations was that the grants did not align with the priorities of the CDC, “recent statements plausibly suggest that the reason for the direction [to cut the funds] is hostility to what the federal government calls ‘sanctuary jurisdictions’ or ‘sanctuary cities.'”

 

 

The whole process aligns with the way the federal government has been operating since President Trump’s second inauguration last year. But the context is new. These grants were not all put in place by a previous, Democratic administration. The $600 million is included in the funding bill that passed with bipartisan support in Congress and was signed into law by Trump himself just weeks ago.

“Integral to keeping people safe”
In Santa Clara County, Calif., the official notice of grant terminations came Thursday morning. “Two large grants that we rely on for core functions in public health to keep people safe and healthy have now been canceled,” says Dr. Sarah Rudman, director of the county’s public health department. “The way these grants are applied throughout our department, they’re integrated with a huge range of activities we sometimes have to do by law and are absolutely integral to keeping people safe.”

 

 

As an example, she says, one of the grants pays for a staffer in their public health laboratory. “That staff member is key to our overall capacity to test for things most other labs can’t test for, like Ebola and anthrax and measles,” she says. “We’re not going to stop testing for those diseases today, but our ability to do it as well and as fast as we always do is immediately at risk.”

Santa Clara is just one of dozens of local health departments targeted in the grant cancellations. A joint statement from other affected public health departments said the cuts could affect everything from HIV prevention in Chicago, firearm injury reduction in Denver, and access to affordable, healthy foods in Minneapolis.

Rudman says the feeling is “whiplash” when federal grants can be canceled suddenly with little explanation, although she says she’s relieved the judge stepped in quickly to temporarily block the cuts.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CELEBRITY2 hours ago

A California federal judge hit the Trump administration with a scathing order to notify thousands of detained immigrants nationwide that they can join a lawsuit demanding either a hearing or immediate release.

CELEBRITY2 hours ago

Trump DOJ takes down thousands of Epstein docs after admitting it exposed victims

CELEBRITY2 hours ago

The Department of Justice was reportedly caught deleting evidence that sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell was in possession of three interviews that could possibly be used as blackmail over President Donald Trump and were not released to the general public.

CELEBRITY2 hours ago

Trump owes the Supreme Court an apology—to the Justices he smeared on Friday and the institution itself. He doubtless won’t offer one, but his rant in response to his tariff defeat at the Court was arguably the worst moment of his Presidency.

CELEBRITY2 hours ago

Former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton are in a standoff with House Oversight Committee Chair James Comer, R-Ky., over testimony the panel is seeking in its investigation into the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

CELEBRITY2 hours ago

Former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton are set to testify to the House Oversight Committee for its investigation into Jeffrey Epstein, a committee spokeswoman says.

CELEBRITY2 hours ago

Trump refuses to apologize after posting racist meme of the Obamas

CELEBRITY2 hours ago

In a rare move, the White House recently took down a racist post from one of President Trump’s social media accounts. Extremism researchers say it fits a pattern of mainstreaming extremist ideas.

CELEBRITY2 hours ago

Just hours after the federal judges in the Eastern District of Virginia appointed a new interim US attorney to replace Trump loyalist Lindsey Halligan, the administration said he is fired.

CELEBRITY2 hours ago

President Trump is asking the federal government for billions of dollars in damages, putting his own Justice Department on the spot and creating an unprecedented ethical morass.

CELEBRITY2 hours ago

A federal judge in Illinois quickly issued a restraining order after the Trump administration slashed more than $600 million in CDC grants

CELEBRITY3 hours ago

NEW: JD Vance flew to Rome to formally invite Pope Leo XIV to join America’s 250th anniversary celebration. The first American pope has declined — days after rejecting President Trump’s “Board of Peace” invitation. On July 4, he’ll be in Lampedusa, standing with migrants — not in Washington — drawing another stark line between the Trump-Vance White House and the Catholic Church under Leo.

Copyright © 2025 Luxurydioruk